Suggestions

This topic contains 46 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Young-blood Young-blood 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

pfehlicks
    Participant

Hi folks,

I think the upcoming Ouya console could be worth a Weekly Wringer. Overhyped crap or total game changer? If you haven’t heard about it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

What do you think?

The Bowtie Guy
    The Bowtie Guy
    Participant

During the comments for Weekly Wringer 74, a brief argument popped up about the cultural value of video games and whether or not they’re really art. This isn’t a brilliantly original topic, but it’s one that can be discussed to great length.

DTX180
    Participant

my suggestion would be a weekly wringer on esports and competitve gaming. From fighting games to SC2, delve into the good and bad aspects of esports. As a former competitive brood war player (just dont have the time anymore to learn SC2 sadly), i have some nice things and bad things to say about the current state of esports.

The Bowtie Guy
    The Bowtie Guy
    Participant

One topic that I’ve become fascinated by of late – and I feel would be more than worth delving into in the Weekly Wringer – is arcade culture and its disappearance.

I know that the Weekly Wringer has already discussed the best arcade games, but what about the culture of arcades? What about the competetive atmosphere they create, their dissappearance, and the slim, slim chance of a return?

Arcades are interesting in that if you run around one with your eyes closed and play the first game you bump into, it’ll probably be of much higher quality than if you did the same in a game store. The inherent economy of the arcade forces each game to be challenging, competetive, and very, very high quality, because ones that aren’t simply don’t make as much money. The loss of this economy and culture, at least in the west, is simply tragic.

Just something to consider, I guess.

DTX180
    Participant

for wringer #100: What’s your favorite (so far) weekly wringer?

The Bowtie Guy
    The Bowtie Guy
    Participant

Somehow, I think it should be a bigger question. Not sure what, but that seems awfully small-scale for a hundredth episode. Sounds like something that could be done for a regular wringer, though.

Mog
    Mog
    Participant

I really like the arcade question.  You should pm thecommodore.  I don’t think he ever looks at the forums, but does read his mail.

Commodore128
    Commodore128
    Keymaster

Just want to chime in here guys. Tis true, I’m not the greatest forum follower. BUT! I will make a note to get in here more often.

Also, Mog is quite right, that I do check my email and reply better there. Commodore128@clanofthegraywolf.com or just follow me on twitter and send me a tweet there with ideas: @ItsTheCommodore

Now, I want to get some fire going for the 100th Wringer topic and I love the start with DTX here! What do you guys think I should do for that??? Ideas???

The Bowtie Guy
    The Bowtie Guy
    Participant

I can’t really say what, but it should be a huge topic that we could go on for weeks about, something like, “What is the best game of ___ generation?,” or, “What are your hopes for the future of the game industry?”
    In other words, something appropriately grandiose for a hundredth episode.

Mog
    Mog
    Participant

Lol.  Had to prove me wrong by posting.  ^^

Best I can think of off the top of my head for 100 is like Bowtie guy said a “greatest/favorite game” question.  Everyone always loves talking about their fav games and I’d guess you’d get pretty varied answers.  Like the wringer about hall of fame nominee game was pretty fun.  Maybe greatest console ever would be interesting too if you wanted to try for a fanboy/girl war although this crowd is pretty laidback in general.

I like Mog’s suggestion about greatest console ever but knowing the demographic here I think I know what most people will answer with.

The Bowtie Guy
    The Bowtie Guy
    Participant

Yeah, it should be something that we can actually argue over.

1337Scientist
    1337Scientist
    Participant

This question may only be pertinent to the 30+ generation:

What does the term arcade mean to you? What portion of your nostalgic gaming memories rotate around the arcade? Are they still relevant? Even in a retro sense? I’m old and want to believe the answer is; yes. They were such an integral part of gen X. Does anyone miss the interpersonal sense of community that arcades garnered?

Do they just represent a moment in time? Unfortunately the answer is likely yes to this as well. However, now that we are getting older and *supposedly* have more disposable income do you own or plan on purchasing or building a private arcade?

In some ways, my nostalgic thoughts on gaming echo the klaxons and screeches of the typical late 80’s early 90’s arcade more so than sitting in front of the tube at home. Anyone else?

I have a respectable cabinet collection the cornerstone of which is my Neo-Geo 4 slot MVS with a near complete collection of cartridges.

I am also fortunate enough to live near one of few thriving arcade communities in the United State (Arcade UFO in Austin, TX). Check in ATX!!!!

1337Scientist
    1337Scientist
    Participant

Ha ha. I just read The Bowtie Guy’s comment. I bow to you sir, as you posted first. Consider my post an addendum to yours.

Serendipity. Well Commodore, that’s two votes for arcade….

Carnavas
    Participant

Just signed up to say I’d be interested in the culture of Arcades as previously suggested. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.