Suggestions for 16-Bit Gems

Home Forums Clan of the Gray Wolf Shows 16-Bit Gems Suggestions for 16-Bit Gems

This topic contains 347 replies, has 152 voices, and was last updated by  RainbowPubes 5 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 348 total)
  • Author

jofo
    Participant

Personally I’d recommend both the Genesis/Mega-Drive and SNES versions of The Adventures of Batman and Robin for 16-Bit Gems. The SNES version is a really good (if a bit difficult) single-player experience, while the Genesis version is an awesome run and gun co-op experience with an AMAZING soundtrack by Jespar Kyd!

Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

I really want to see Roo go into detail with either Crusader of Centy/Soleil or Landstalker on the Genesis/Mega Drive. They are both extremely fun action adventure games a bit like Zelda.

Soleil, at first, seems like a total ripoff of Zelda LttP but as you keep on playing, it gets more and more original. There are a whole lot of plot holes here and there but the gameplay makes up for it.

Landstalker is really awesome and it has a weird isometric perspective. It gets a little annoying at first but you get used to it. I can’t say too much about the game since I’m only a few hours in.

Both of these games had some changes in different regions which I’d love to see further explained. Soleil had a few things changed for North America like the Dog’s name and some religious references, but Landstalker apparently had quite a few sexual references taken out for release outside of Japan. It also had the ending changed for North America.

I think these two games were so overlooked upon release  since most people just played the first 15 minutes of them and then went back to play Zelda or something.

Swizlet
    Participant

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but definitely Altered Beast, Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun, and Might and Magic:  Gates to Another World deserve a ton of recognition for the great games that they are.  The latter i tried to beat recently after only having played it in my youth and i just couldn’t come close, it just has too much play time and an insane amount of free roaming and your characters have so much room for improvement that i must have leveled my party for a week straight before even pushing the story forward.  It’s a fantastic old unforgiving rpg with a so-so storyline that was no doubt the best Genesis game i owned.

E
    Participant

I second Landstalker on the Genesis/Megadrive or even it’s spiritual sequels (Alundra 1 and 2 on the Playstation which would obviously be 32-bit gems, but fit the overall feel and gameplay style of the 16-bit era EXTREMELY well).

I think an often overlooked gem possibly due to it’s battle mechanics having a sharper learning curve (and excuse me if this suggestion was already given because there is a few hundred posts spread out across several pages that I didn’t get around to reading) for the 16-bit consoles was Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. It would fit the informational moniker that the 16-bit Gems videos typically portray being that it was available on pretty much every console at the time which would make a fun little bit for comparisons. Not to mention the Ys series has a legacy in it’s own right especially overseas and the newer games (especially the remake of Ys III) have been more widely accepted by North American audiences in more recent years.

MikeJRthe2nd
    MikeJRthe2nd
    Participant

I’m not sure if this has been said, but the first Fire emblem game for the SNES, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem. Fire Emblem is basically an RPG but IMO it’s a very light RPG as most elements are on strategy. A lot of you out there might like Final Fantasy tactics so it should be said that this game created the genre which gave you that. So I recommend for people to “play” your respects ;) (bad pun).

Anyway the game was only released in Japan so it can count as an obscure game and it’s the game that a lot of hardcore FE fans will tell people to play if they are interested in getting into the series. I recommend only playing the first game because the next two games are hard as balls. This game is not only a remake, but a sequel as well to the very first FE game they made for the NES. That’s the only game that comes to mind.

Carnavas
    Participant

I would love to see Rocket Knight Adventure’s as it’s one of my favourite games on the Genesis.

scar
    Participant

I have some ideas

Darkseed on DOS. A typical Point and Click adventure fare, but with artwork by HR. Geiger, which shows. Something I would suggest for a Halloween special. I think it counts as a 16 bit gem, as the 486 was a 16bit CPU.

I Have no mouth, and I must scream, for DOS. Another horror based point and click adventure games based on a short story by Harlan Ellison.

Umihara Kawase, SNES. A fun little puzzle game where you have to navigate several areas.

Super Back to the Future II. A good back to the future side scroller.

I am partial to the SNES and PC.

SuperBlueKnight
    SuperBlueKnight
    Participant

roo should review Super mario rpg its a great 16 bit gem on the snes and there are a lot of people agree! and the Tales of series should be mentioned soon !

SuperBlueKnight
    SuperBlueKnight
    Participant

or talk about the Tales of series

PonchoThong
    Participant

Should try out skyblazer

MikeJRthe2nd
    MikeJRthe2nd
    Participant

Super Mario RPG really isn’t a gem. It’s a good game, but many people have played or known about it.

spartan88harris
    Participant

I agree with PonchoThong. I think you should review Skyblazer for SNES, it was a pretty good game.

Dohn
    Dohn
    Participant

One game that I’m surprised hasn’t been done by either 16-Bit Gems or the Happy Video Game Nerd is one that is sorely underrated and my favorite video game of all time. That is Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen. Although I own the PlayStation remake, the Super Nintendo version is not shabby by any means.

Also when is Ys Books I & II for the TurboGrafx-16 gonna get their respective reviews?

Also. I’m a member of Newgrounds, and people have made suggestions for the show within a thread I made on their forums. Here are their suggestions.

- Ristar
    - Wonder Boy in Monster Land
    - Shadow Dancer

TalOrtRal
    Participant

My top games for Gems would be Dragon Quest 3 or any of the Phantasy Stars.

patlefort
    Participant

My 2 suggestions are 2 great JRPG that were never released in the west on the SNES and both released late in the SNES life:

• Tales of Phantasia (Teiruzu obu Fantajia):

The only version of the game officially released in english is the GBA version in 2006. Otherwise, the only option is to get a fan made translation. It is the first game to be 48 mbit in size on the snes. There is also a remake on the PSX with a completed fan translation. This version is much improved.

• Treasure of the Rudras (Rudra no Hihō):

A not very known JRPG from Square. Again, the only way to play it in english is to use a fan made translation.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  patlefort.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  patlefort.
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 348 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.