Suggestions for 16-Bit Gems

Home Forums Clan of the Gray Wolf Shows 16-Bit Gems Suggestions for 16-Bit Gems

This topic contains 353 replies, has 155 voices, and was last updated by  TrueLink 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 354 total)
  • Author
    Roo
    Roo
    Keymaster

Though my collection of SNES and Genesis games is rather robust and only serves to reaffirm my status as a big man, there are a lot of games from the 16-Bit era that I’ve never played. I was wondering if anybody out there is willing to suggest a few games I might want to look at for future reviews. I’ll be sure to give them a try and see how good they are.

airblade
    Participant

I’d say Lufia I & II,

The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

Kirby’s Dream Course

Roo
    Roo
    Keymaster

Oh man, Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. You’ve been reading my list. I loved that game back in the day – It’s certainly coming at some point.

Kirby is always good for some fun. And though it may sound crazy, I’ve never played any of the Lufia games. I have no reason why not, I’m just a schmuck, I guess. I’ll have to try them soon.

airblade
    Participant

Hehe, there were also a couple others, but i can’t remember the names.

Twisted Tales of Spike McFang sure was entertaining.

I could easily say the Breath of Fire series, but too much of the RPG genre already =P

Cycopather
    Cycopather
    Participant

Mario Kart. The original. It started an entire frachise of historic games in the Mario series.

airblade
    Participant

MK was really popular though, i think the 16 bit gem is more like "not so/well known" games

Take "EVO" for example, I persoanlly never heard of it…

Illusion of Gaia, and Actraiser 1 (2 sucked, even though i was a glutton for punishment and beat it) for example, i have friends who never heard of em, and i played those games so much.

Roo… ever thought about Sim City ? 😛

Asael

What i would really love to see a review being made off is Secret of Mana, but since that isnt a hidden 16 bit gem, i do have some other suggestions.

Terranigma and Equinox for example.

Or Desert Strike and Desert Fighter. I can still remember the day that my dad took me to the local game store to let me buy the first game when i was a wee lad only to find that he store owner brought out Desert Fighter instead of Desert Strike (because apparantly that is what i said then, damn exitement), which turned out to be a good blow-up-stuff-in-a-desert-setting game aswell.

And even though it has been said already, but i can also recommend Lufia II. Loved it when i played the dutch version back in the day.

Cycopather
    Cycopather
    Participant

True. MK was a little to popular. I should’ve thought of that

Roo
    Roo
    Keymaster

SimCity was perhaps my favorite game on the SNES until at least Link to the Past came out. Sadly, I think a lot of people may have played it… 🙂

Lufia II and Terranigma are also on the list. But you are right airblade, there are a lot of RPGs on the list (can you tell I’m a big fan of the genre?). That coupled with the fact that they take a long time to play through, record, write scripts for, edit… yeah, I wouldn’t mind reviewing some lighter fare.

These are all good suggestions. Keep ’em coming, guys.

airblade
    Participant

MMM yeah, RPG used to be my favorite genre until FF8(worst FF ever), and ff6 still my favorite game ever. Now I’m more into FPS, since I haven’t played any good RPGs lately.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Rock and Roll Racing

The Super Star Wars Trilogy

Pocky & Rocky

Cycopather
    Cycopather
    Participant

Roo, I have a question for you. I recently aquired an SNES. Besides all the games you have reviewed in your series, do you have any recomendations?

Roo
    Roo
    Keymaster

Well, I’m sure I’ll miss some, but just glancing over at my collection…

Chrono Trigger

Donkey Kong Country

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Mega Man X

Secret of Mana

Super Adventure Island II

Super Castlevania IV

Super Mario RPG

Supre Mario World (do I even need to put that on the list?)

Super Metroid

There are a few more I can come up with, but they’re coming up as 16-Bit Gems… so, gotta wait! The funny thing is that some of the games I really spent a lot of time with (SimCity, Civilization) can be played on the PC with a much better interface, and for free. Ah, progress.

What genre game do you most enjoy?

Cycopather
    Cycopather
    Participant

Theres no one genre I can lay down as my favorite. I mean, there are some I don’t like. One thing I for some reason, don’t enjoy is games that are realistic. I know it’s not 16-bit, but my brother is addicted to COD Modern Warfare 2. I always found the thought of killing real people to be kind of sick. I think it’s more fun when theres a completely new world to explore. Not something real. I play video games to get away from the real world.

Rokto

i honestly dont know any 16-bit under-rated games or hidden games.the only one i know is earthbound (my favorite game and series), but thats already coverd.

airblade
    Participant

How about Soul Blazer(prequel of Illusion of Gaia) or Romance of Three Kingdoms (back when i played this game I had no f-bomb clue of what to do in this game), but I still managed to do some crazy shit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 354 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.