Secret of Evermore>Secret of Mana?

Home Forums Clan of the Gray Wolf Shows 16-Bit Gems Secret of Evermore>Secret of Mana?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  nickmason 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jofo
    Participant

I know I’m in the minority regarding this, but I recently played both games and Secret of Evermore showed FAR less age than Mana. Hit detection is far superior, it has a comprehendable plot, and it also has a more intricate and interesting magic system; some may say that lack of multiplayer is a con, but I’ve had more trouble than fun with Mana’s multiplayer due to spell-casting stopping the game dead for everyone playing (especially the player controlling the boy) Aside from a few aesthetics like soundtrack,  I just really feel that Evermore is the superior game. Anyone agree?

Jax Mandrake
    Participant

I guess I’m a bit spoiled by nostalgia.  I was eager to play Secret of Mana even before it was called Secret of Mana – Nintendo Power’s first article about it carried the title “Final Fantasy Adventure II” and I played FFA to death on my Game Boy.  While I  do enjoy Secret of Evermore, I’m just a bigger fan of Mana.  My biggest gripe with Evermore is the severe limitation on alchemy ingredients, for I am one of those who feels the need to grind until all the magic is maxed out.

I never play multiplayer so that aspect has never affected me.

BTW, I’d like to link this here because it is relevant: The Completionist’s review of Secret of Mana.  I hope someday soon he’ll cover Evermore…

Maze
    Maze
    Participant

I’ve never had any trouble or frustration playing Secret of Mana mutiplayer.

Mog
    Mog
    Participant

I much prefered the story of Secret of Mana (there’s a reason many games have been stealing the storyline almost completely ever since).  Lack of multiplayer was a huge con with secret of evermore for me.  The multiplayer with SoM was unheard of at the time.  I think there is a pretty decent balance between the magic and melee.  Is it better in games now where a 2nd player can cast a spell without stopping the game?  Sure.  This is years later on more powerful systems.

But yeah.  Games like SoE are a dime a dozen.  Multiplayer games like SoM not easy to come by then or even now.

Jagos
    Participant

I’ve actually played both and I felt that the story of Evermore was… lackluster. It didn’t really have that “umph” factor. Sure, the mechanics were a great part of the game, but I really didn’t feel that the plot was worth it. It seemed more like a grand experiment in 90s style gaming than an actual sequel. The dog changed depending on which epoch you were in and you fought various people, but I can tell you that it just didn’t seem to tell a good story.

Mana did. It told a story of three different characters who were essentially forced to work together through circumstances not their own. I felt more loss at what was going on and the consequences of actions taken. The music of Mana was captivating and the boy’s story of how he was thrust to be a hero still resonates to this day.

Sorry, I still would pick Mana over Evermore.

McAngrimstein
    Participant

I know this topic is only about Evermore and Mana, but Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 blows both of them out of the water, and I say this as a big fan of Evermore and Mana.

Participant

Was never really fond of Secret of Mana. Didn’t really like the game-feel. Thinking about giving it another chance soon.

Mark P. Tjan
    Keymaster

I think Secret of Evermore gets an undeservedly bad rap. Part of it is that a lot of people once thought there was an issue where we didn’t get Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3) because Squaresoft decided to publish Evermore instead. Another part is that many people thought Evermore was just built on the Mana engine and dismissed it as some kind of ripoff.

Neither is true, of course. Evermore in no way impacted SD3’s translation, and despite being very similar to SoM, Evermore was entirely programmed by Square USA. It’s unsurprising then that it feels slightly different, especially where hit detection is concerned.

If anything, Evermore’s only real faults are that it’s a bit too gloomy at times, it has a few places you can genuinely get stuck (the alchemy system wasn’t fully tested and there’s a few times where you can run out of ingredients necessary for spells to beat the bosses with, with no way to purchase new ones), and it’s buggy now and again. Those are largely dismissible problems, however. I feel it stands on equal footing with Mana, and is thematically so different that the two deserve less comparison and more individual praise.

sabin333
    Participant

I couldn’t agree with Mark more. It’s a real shame that people even compare Mana and Evermore. I’m a huge fan of both, but sometimes I feel like the only similarity is the ring system.

But Secret of Evermore is really a unique game. It’s mix of Scifi and Fantasy is pretty unmatched. I even wrote a song about my love of SoE (which I placed in the “General Blather & Twaddle › Video Games” forum so I wouldn’t have to hijack this thread)

So anyway, thanks to the people that stood up for SoE. But let’s be honest. Isn’t it great that we got both of them! I know my childhood would not have been the same without them.

KuraraII
    KuraraII
    Participant

Secret of Mana fans, I recommend you all try out fusoya’s variable width font patch.

http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/som/patch.html

It fixes the text, allowing for large segments of the story that were removed originally for the NA release to be re-implemented. It’s a nice bit of story/dialogue touch-up.

nickmason
    Participant

There instances that I face issues for playing Secret of Mana, however that seems isolated, but still looking for ways that it will not that be annoyance. That issues gives me time to play simple games at http://www.igamesforgirls.com/adventure instead.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.