New Mic Setup

Home Forums Clan of the Gray Wolf Shows 16-Bit Gems New Mic Setup

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Parbs 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roo
    Roo
    Keymaster

As some of you noticed during the Soul Blazer review, I was using a different mic for the video portions – a lavalier, or clip-on mic, as opposed to the normal shotgun mic I’ve been using. My main reason for this was to cut out the noise from my computer in the room and also reduce the “echoing” effect of my voice bouncing off the walls (minor, I know – but it drives me nuts).

I agree that the mic made me sound muffled during at least the last part of the video. I blame this on not fully understanding how to use it well. However, that was shot a month before the first part of the video, and I gained some more experience in using it correctly (E3 helped with that). So I encourage everyone who thinks the sound is muffled when I’m on camera to check the first on-screen portion and let me know if that sounds ok, since that’s more how it would sound from here on if I used the lavalier. If a majority prefers the shotgun mic, then I can go back to it – no big deal. I’d just like to hear what you all have to say on the matter. After all, these videos are for you to enjoy!

Mr. K
    Mr. K
    Participant

I’m still saving for my own lavalier. I think they’re the superior mic type. Keep using it.

But if you’re concerned about the hiss or buzz that goes along with it, run the audio through a music suite and use the appropriate correctors on it. My Soul Blazer review started out really bad, because I’d bought a new mic– one without a filter– so I had to desynch the audio, run correction on it, then resynch it.

HomerRPGEye

Noticed that, Roo. The sound is clear and fluid. By the way, I just want to ask Roo, on what recording camera you are using in your recent/latest game reviews?

ShirowWolf

Sounds great! It’s clear, clean from noise….It should work just fine!

It seems to also have a lot of….I’m not even sure how to describe this because I don’t know a lot about this stuff….bass in the sound? No, I’m not talking you’re sweet, Barry White-esque, Roo. >D I mean there feels like there’s….an undertone, if you will, that makes the sound packed with….bass, I guess, or depth…I’m not sure how else to describe it….It sounds fine, and I’m not complaining here, just pointing it out.

Parbs
    Participant

Yeah, the shotgun mic is a condenser? probably not the ideal solution for playing along and reviewing sections of games. The lavalier sounds good to my ears, i’ve always made sure to use a high quality preamp with both hi-z and mic inputs before my soundcard (some have decent ones built in anyway). Give me a yell if you ever want any advice on something recording related!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.