Games-to-Film: What Do You WANT to See?

Home Forums General Blather & Twaddle Movies Games-to-Film: What Do You WANT to See?

This topic contains 77 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Jax Mandrake 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author

ShirowWolf

So, are there any games-to-film that you do want to see, and that you think could actually make a decent movie? Or TV series?

I think that the Metal Gear series could potentially make for decent film, although what they would probably have to do is make it a well-financed TV series. You just can’t cram everything you need from any one game (except possibly one of the original MSX games) into a single movie. If done carefully, I think it could work as a show, though. I’m not necessarily hoping they do make anything, especially given the almost no faith I have in Hollywood and its hacks, but I think it could be done.

I…might even be interested in seeing something like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI or IX in animated form. The animated cuts in the PS/DS Chrono Trigger gave you an idea of how that game could look and feel in anime form. Again, if done very carefully, I think they could work, but I’m not necessarily hoping they do make them.

Aestolia

You know I was thinking about it, And I thought of a game I want to see a film of.. hell not only that but I actually DARE Uwe Boll and/or Michael Bay to pick up this thrown gauntlet.

Because despite the cheap ass crap they churn out, I think they might actually have a chance at doing something good with this title.

Hell I’ll even start the script for them, because the opening line is just that easy…

‘War. War never changes…”

That’s right.

Fallout

ShirowWolf

…ho boy. A lot of people are going to hate you for that one… >D

A Fallout movie could definitely be good, but in all seriousness, please, God, absolutely do not let Boll or Bay touch it. It seems unlikely that would ever happen anyway though, so I think we’re safe! ;P

Aestolia

Hey I’ve seen more of their ~Deleted explitive~ than I care to admit, and I do have to say that Boll more than Bay, I do honestly think can do a decent Fallout movie.

Or you could always think of it this way.

Even the most uncoordinated shmuck has that fluke chance of hitting a home run. Statistically Boll is due to actually make something good, by accident.

ShirowWolf

….I don’t think Boll actually does have that kind of chance of making a really good movie. He…just does not. I’m pretty convinced he doesn’t want to, either! In other words, my advice is, don’t hold your breath on that. Seriously. ;P

When saying “done carefully” you mean not letting Hollywood or Networks make/get involved.

These types of movies should work if the people making them are fans of the source material but if they are making it just for the money it never works.

HomerRPGEye

Here is one for you: Ninja Gaiden!

ShirowWolf

…Well, kind of. I just mean that the greatest of care and I’d say understanding needs to be taken in doing most of these kinds of movies the right way, and not seem like they are game movies. Now granted, I don’t think all, and probably not even most, games should be movies, or would make good movies. Hence, look at the track record of games-to-film so far…But I think a lot of things can be done well. Yeah, I suppose original creator involvement is usually necessary for such things to work better. Rockstar Games has said something similar; that to make movies, they’d want to handle it themselves, and that would mean not making as many games, too, and they make games for a living.

….but then, Rockstar filed a trademark for Rockstar Movies recently, so uh….hmmmm…

I think Ninja Gaiden seems like the kind of movie that would have been made a long time ago; like in the 1980’s, when the games came out! It could definitely have been delightfully bad! To make it today, I guess it could still be done, but again…it’d take a lot of care to either make it not really bad, or….to make it….just bad and zany enough that it’s awesome. I wouldn’t count on that happening though. 😛

djb123

speaking of Rockstar, I thought BULLY would make a good movie. It could be kind of a dark humor coming of age tale and it would fit with all the anti-bully compaigns going on right now in the media. Very topical.

I know there’s supposed to be a Myst movie in the works based off of one of the books (The Book of Ti’Anna is the one I think they’re going for) and I think if that got made it would be pretty good.

ShirowWolf

Bully might make a good movie, from what I gather of it (I haven’t played it).

I think I heard something about a Myst movie a while back, but nothing really came of it. IMDB does have an entry for The Book of Ti’anna as the movie’s basis, as you mentioned, with a release window of 2013, so far. I’m not sure how active this movie’s progress is though. I haven’t read any of the Myst books, although I can say…I couldn’t imagine a movie based on one of the Myst games. That’s an example of something that would just not work as a movie, and retain the essence of the game.

Mr. K
    Mr. K
    Participant

I read The Book of Atrus when I was younger, but other than the first game (which I never beat), that’s all I know about Myst.

I’m still holding out for a God of War movie. Starring Djimon Hounsou as Kratos.

PuresGift

American McGees Alice

djb123

Yeah, I’m a pretty big fan of the games and I liked the books and have read them.

So far as the game itself translating into a movie, you’re right, it wouldn’t. However, the book is a narrative and it’s a pretty decent one at that. I could see it as a blockbuster semi-steam era (though I wouldnt’ say punk) special effects fair. All the digging robots and the underground cities and exotic locales. It would translate into some nice visuals.

FinalFan777

Well they still make ninja guiden games. Although i prefer th old ones.

As for my picks, well id go with Mega Man. They already did an animated series (they might of done 2 actually) and now archie is doing a comic book series. I wanna see a live action movie. Maybe a little more modern, less japanese, grittier take on it. Its about a boy forced to become a living weapon to hunt and kill his brother’s, who have been twisted by a madman. There are interesting things that could be done with that.

Also Team Fortress 2. Valve could probably do an animated series themselves. They practically already have with the Meet the Team videos. Plus a feature film would be preaty cool.

FinalFan777

Bully movie by Edgar Wright : pure awsumness.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.