CotGW IRC Chat via Pidgin IRC Client Tutorial

Home Forums General Blather & Twaddle The Wolves' Den CotGW IRC Chat via Pidgin IRC Client Tutorial

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Vulcan Assassin Vulcan Assassin 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vulcan Assassin
    Vulcan Assassin
    Participant

Hi everyone, this post will detail a step-by-step instruction to use Pidgin IRC Client to connect to CotGW’s IRC chat room(s). This instruction is identical for Windows, and Linux users (Don’t worry there is a Mac version too – see below). Also, the server/chat names in this post may change later, I don’t control any of that, CotGW does 😉 – But I will try to update if needed.

First, a note about Pidgin. It is free chat/messaging software, and is very versatile. It can be very simple or highly customized. It supports some very handy (also free) plugins and runs the same on both Linux and Windows. *For Mac/OSX, you can use Adium, a similar software built on Pidgin’s Core.

Step 1: Install Pidgin.

-Piece of Cake. Grab the installer here: http://www.pidgin.im/ and install it.

Step 2. Secure Your CotGW Username with the IRC server.

– Simply Register your CotGW Username with the IRC host, AlphaChat here: http://alphachat.net/user/register

Step 3: Set up Pidgin to Connect to the IRC chat server.

-Start the newly installed Pidgin Client. If a “Buddy List” window opens, good. if not, right click the Pidgin Client Icon in your taskbar and select “Show Buddy List”.

– In the Buddy List Window, click “Accounts”, then “Manage Accounts”. (you can also access this directly from the taskbar icon)

– The Accounts Window will open. Click the “Add” button at the bottom.

– The Add Account window will open. Click the “Protocol” drop-down Menu, Selct “IRC”.

– In the Username Field, enter the one you registered @ AlphaChat in step 2.

– In the server field, enter irc.AlphaChat.net

– In the Password field, use the one you selected from step 2, obviously. (Ticking on the Remember password option is up to you)

– In the Local Alias Field, You can Enter the Alias of your choosing. If you want your username displayed (and I hope you do) in chat, use that.

– Save and exit the Accounts Windows.

Step 4: Setup Pidgin to connect to the CotGW IRC Chat Room (and save to connect anytime it’s running)

– In the Pidgin Buddy List Window, Click on “Buddies”, then click “+ Add Chat” (NOT” Join a Chat” – It won’t save the room)

– The Add a Chat Window appears.

– Click the “Account” drop down list and select the AlphaChat account you just created.

– In the “Room” field enter #ClanoftheGrayWolf if you are want the sites general IRC channel. For chat during Echo Screen Live, enter #Echo-Screen-Live instead. (

I recommend repeating step 4 of this tutorial to go ahead and add BOTH chats to the Pidgin Client

)

– Leave the Password Field BLANK. This chat room itself is not password protected.

– In the “Alias” field, enter what you want to save/title the Chat Room as (I just used “CotGW IRC”, for example)

– The Groups Field is up to you. If you aren’t sure, just enter “Chats”.

– The “Auto-join…”, and “Remain in chat…” options are up to you as well. (you don’t have to auto-join, you can join the chat instantly from your buddy list anytime)

– Click the “Add” button. Return to your buddy list. If you followed this correctly your new chat should be listed under the group you set it to. Click it anyitme you want to jump in.

You are finished! Enjoy!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Vulcan Assassin Vulcan Assassin.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Vulcan Assassin Vulcan Assassin.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Vulcan Assassin Vulcan Assassin. Reason: Updated
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Vulcan Assassin Vulcan Assassin. Reason: Updated
    Vulcan Assassin
    Vulcan Assassin
    Participant

Just to add: I recommend looking through the Plugins section of Pidgin. You will find many cool features to customize your pidgin software to your liking, and its pretty easy to do! You can change the interface, add features, make Pidgin behave like other Chat clients such as AOL or MSN or whatever else you prefer.

You can manage available plugins by accessing the “Tools” menu from the Buddy List window and selecting “Plugins.”

More Plugins for Pidgin can be found here: https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins#OfficialPlugins

The Onion Knight
    Participant

Sweet! Thanks for the guide, Vulcan. I got IRC running in Pidgen now. Hope to see some of you fine people in the channel sometime!

Vulcan Assassin
    Vulcan Assassin
    Participant

No problem. I posted it hoping it may get some use by the community here. smiley

Vulcan Assassin
    Vulcan Assassin
    Participant

Update: the channel has changed since the New launch.

All instruction above still apply except for the Chat channel. It is now:

#ClanoftheGrayWolf

Mark P. Tjan
    Keymaster

Pinned. 🙂

Vulcan Assassin
    Vulcan Assassin
    Participant

Update: Added link to the proper Mac OSX version. I haven’t used it so I can’t promise 100% compatibility with my instructions, but it’s built on libpurple, so I am going to assume it should work fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.