20 Years of The Super Nintendo

Home Forums Clan of the Gray Wolf Shows 16-Bit Gems 20 Years of The Super Nintendo

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  The Onion Knight 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Wow, time really does fly when your playing video games. It’s been 20 years since the SNES came out and dominated the Genesis in a close race, but eventually won dominance.

There are, of course the great classics: Street Fighter 2, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario World, but what’s yours?

Tell me what your favorite SNES game is below.

Gnashvar
    Gnashvar
    Participant

There are many well known games that I could say are my favorites for the Snes but that would be a list like any other website.

So my favorite not well known Snes game is Pocky and Rocky.

Mr. K
    Mr. K
    Participant

FF6

Chrono Trigger

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

All good choices, Mr.K.

My favorite’s a tie between Chrono Trigger, FF6 and EB. I just loved them al so much growing up I just couldn’t decide which of the 3 was better.

ShirowWolf

Yeah….20 years….God, and I feel old enough as it is.

Well, favorite SNES games would include– Super Mario World, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Mortal Kombat II, Super Mario Kart, Earthworm Jim, Eartworm Jim 2, Super Mario RPG…..I guess I’d also say Mario Paint, back in the day, and U.N. Squadron was good, too. I also did have Killer Instinct, but I probably wouldn’t like the SNES version as much nowadays….I’d also probably throw Super Mario All-Stars up there, too; just upgrades of good old classics! The music isn’t all entirely ‘better’ than the originals, though.

In some ways, I’d probably prefer MK Trilogy over the SNES MKII today, but well, you just can’t beat the memories I have with good old MKII on the SNES…

20 years later and still have the same Super Nintendo console. The thing with the SNES is trying to find games for it besides what everyone’s top list are which are all similar. Try buying a random unknown game for it, that is why I have more Genesis games than SNES games.

ShirowWolf

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/27423

So, Nintendo World Report has been going through their favorite 20 SNES games; today, Earthbound was posted! Oh yes. Check out their comments on it.

mikeke352
    mikeke352
    Participant

The reason (I think) that it’s a little difficult to make a more original “Top Games” list for the super nintendo than the Genesis is because while the SNES had a bunch of top-notch games, the Genesis had more fun or interesting games come out more frequently. The SNES would get a few games from it’s big series and stuff, a year, and they would be really memorable, almost all of them A, A+’s. But, The Genesis Would pump out more “B-, to A” material more often. building a larger selection to choose from.

EDIT: I heard this on play value and It says what I was trying to clear and quick: “Sega was basically hammering you with B’s, while Nintendo would wait and drop a few A+ games.

don’t go thinking I’m a SNES hater or anything, I’m just trying to make sense of the trends and similarities on many of the SNES lists.

Anyway…. now To my top games.

Final Fantasy 6

Chrono Trigger

Donkey Kong Country

Super Mario World

Mr. K
    Mr. K
    Participant

Mike, I totally agree with you on the B as compared to A thing.

But in the end, Sega released 915 Genesis games. Nintendo released 785 SNES games. Most of them weren’t exclusives.

ShirowWolf

So, the anniversary was the other day! So it is now indeed officially 20 years old. Oy…

GamePro did something interesting. They created a list of their top ‘Criterion Collection’ games they’d like to see, and even made mock-up covers in the same style! For those that are not aware, the Criterion Collection is, as they describe themselves, “a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, […]dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements.” Some examples of movies they have released under the line incude movies by Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, some Alfred Hitchcock, Antichrist, and even versions of Armageddon, Robocop, The Rock, and The Silence of the Lambs (some of these releases are no longer made, though).

Anyway, so GP made their dream list of SNES games they’d love to see done in this fashion. And they even did Earthbound! http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/222297/the-super-nes-criterion-collection-the-remastered-editions-of-our-dreams-part-1/

I like how, in their Super Star Wars Triology Collection, their dream set describes it including “All three Super Nintendo classics in their original form”. >D

This is only the first part of their feature though, and only has 6 games so far. I’m sure they’ll include others soon, like some other certain RPGs, probably. Still, interesting idea!

nomog

It’s actually not that easy to choose my favourite games, since I can’t help but look at my collection with nostalgia glasses.

I picked the ones I still enjoy playing today:

Castlevania IV

Final Fantasy VI

Super Mario Allstars

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Knights of the Round

Donkey Kong Country 2

barny

So many good SNES memories: Mario Kart (my first SNES game), Mario Paint (my second SNES game), Super Mario World, Zelda: ALTP, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound…

A little hard to believe (or VERY hard to believe to be honest) that the SNES came out 20 years ago. I still play my SNES more than any other system. To be honest, I’d say it was the best system ever created. I’d also be willing to say that the SNES has aged gracefully; it’s still a relevant system IMO. Games aren’t being released for it anymore, but the system/games still have a profound impact on the greatest games that are currently being released.

KuraraII
    KuraraII
    Participant

In celebration I just had an SNES marathon. Sunset Riders, Biker Mice, Turrican, Zombies ate my neighbours, Mystical Ninja, Super Mario World and more were played.

Although I gotta say, damn I feel old.

pelham123

Hi there, this is my first post, so here goes…

Super Metroid (also my all time favourite game)

Actraiser

Front Mission

Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Tales of Phantasia (always preferred the SNES version, that colour palette

is like no other game, such amazing sprite work)

Terranigma

Seiken Densetsu 3

Super Castlevania IV

Yoshi’s Island

Tetris attack

Assault Suits Valken (Would make an excellent 16-bit Gem)

Zelda: A Link to the Past

That’s it off the top my head, and with so many games left to play on the system,

I’ll be playing SNES well into my forties.

On a side note, I just met the only person I’ve ever met who has played

Seiken Densetsu 3, oddly enough it was my Japanese flatmate, she’s

been living here for a month and I never knew she was a game fanatic. Crazy.

Neph

Super Mario World

Zelda: A link to the past.

Castlevania IV

Donkey Kong Country

Super Tennis

I think theese are the games I remember being the most important and fun when I owned a SNES as a child. I will get back if any more comes up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.